“I felt supported and happy when I was studying at SON, and most importantly, I enjoyed the time spent studying. I am very grateful to have built a family-like bonding with my classmates.”
Why do parents choose School of the Nations?
School of the Nations is widely recognized for its academic rigour. Our students are prepared for internationally recognized IGCSE exams and the IB Diploma Programme, and have a strong track record of results. Graduating students often attend highly regarded universities in East Asia, Europe, and North America.
The integrated approach the school takes to the moral and intellectual development of students, and its focus on service to the community, is appealing to many parents.
The school has a diverse teaching staff and student body and focuses on developing proficiency in the English and Mandarin Chinese languages. We strive to promote a harmonious, uplifting and encouraging school environment.
Criteria and Considerations
There is no formula or point system for admissions. Instead, we look holistically at the strengths of every individual applicant and assess their ability to succeed in our school environment. We seek to determine whether students would be able to benefit from and contribute to the school community. Because of our strong ELL and Chinese programmes, there are no rigid English or Mandarin proficiency requirements for admissions.
Roughly 80% of our students tend to be citizens of Macau or Mainland China, though there is no target in place. Our admissions process does not consider gender, race, religion, beliefs, colour, or national and ethnic origin.
Additional consideration may be given to children of faculty members, siblings of current students, children of alumni, and returning students.
How to Apply:
To Enter Kindergarten 1 (K1)
The Macau Education and Youth Affairs Bureau (DSEDJ) centrally manages the application of first-time students into K1. These are students who turn 3 years old before 31 December of the year they would enroll in September. You may contact the school if you miss this application window.
2023-2024 Dates & Procedures
- 5–16 January 2023, register with the DSEDJ in person or on its Central Registration Portal for Children Entering Kindergarten for the First Time
- 17–20 February 2023, visit the school to confirm the interview details and pay an application fee of MOP$1,000.
- 4 March 2023, attend the interview day. The duration of the interview is about 50 minutes. Parents should arrive with their child at least 25 minutes prior to the scheduled interview time for registration. Parents will be required to complete a short questionnaire after registration. Children will be taken in groups for activities where they will be observed. One parent will accompany the child for this. Following this, parents will have a short interview together with their child.
- 11 April 2023, results will be announced on the DSEDJ website, on the school’s website, and by SMS.
- 11–13 April 2023, parents must confirm their choice of school on the DSEDJ website.
- 15–17 April 2023, pay non-refundable and non-transferable deposit to reserve K1 seat.
- From 14 April 2023, parents of the wait list students will be contacted directly.
To Enter Other Grades
SON has rolling admissions, so students—except those in Form 6—may apply at any time to join the school within the academic year.
However, for students who wish to apply for the upcoming 2023-24 academic year, there are fixed dates and procedures, detailed in the following section. Parents may contact the school if they miss the application window. Whether applying for the current or upcoming academic year, certain documents must be submitted.
Upon receipt of your application and documents, you will be contacted to confirm the date and time for interview and placement test.
2023-2024 Dates & Procedures
- The admissions process for 2023-2024 begins from 1 March 2023. Upon receipt of your completed application forms, the School will arrange a date and time for placement test and interview. For applications received by 9 March 2023, placement test and interview will be organized on 11 March 2023. For applications received after 9 March 2023, the School will set a date and time for the placement test and interview.
- 17 March 2023, results will be announced on the school’s website and send SMS.
- Successful candidates must pay their deposit (non-refundable and non-transferable) between 15 – 17 April 2023.
Note: Due to the impact of the epidemic, interview dates may be rescheduled.
School of the Nations collects tuition to fund high-level educational programmes, hire and retain talented faculty and staff, and maintain a safe campus that will facilitate learning. The school is a non-profit entity which exists only to provide education to students. Any excess revenue is reinvested to improve the education we provide.
At least 70% of our revenue is used for teacher salaries and benefits, with the remaining 30% used to support the learning process through such necessities as learning materials, lab costs, administrative functions, facility cleaning and maintenance.
As school fees are determined based on the high standard of education we wish to provide, the school endeavours to use the funds it collects as economically as possible.
> View 2023-24 Fees
> View 2022-23 Fees
Information about scholarships for the 2023-2024 school year:
1. 2023-2024 Scholarship Overview and Application Process (English | Chinese)
2. Scholarship Application Form (Bi-lingual)
3. Financial Status Declaration Form (Bi-lingual)
The steps for withdrawal from the school are:
- Inform the level administrator
- Complete the withdrawal form (this involves getting signatures confirming all school property was returned and obligations settled)
- Request a transcript (may take 10 working days to process)
Frequently Asked Questions:
We look at a broad spectrum of indicators in the application and during the interview. Since the process looks at disposition and potential in addition to prior excellence or abilities, there is often little that should be done in preparation.
Our advice to students is just to be themselves and to arrive well-rested to the interview.
There is high demand for enrollments at School of the Nations. Our student body is approximately 650 students, and every year we accept about 50 new students into K1. We do not usually accept students after Form 4 due the unique requirements of the school’s programmes at the higher levels.
Sudden vacancies do occasionally open up. We accept applications throughout the academic year for all levels (except Form 6) when we have vacancies. Please inquire with the school before applying.
While this varies each year, we typically have about a 10 to 15% admissions rate in Kindergarten and 30% in older grades.
Besides our website, parents can arrange to have a tour of the school or visit us on our annual Public Information Day on Saturday, 14 January 2023.
“There is no limit to learning and character development—this is the message that SON gives to parents. I also deeply understand that the key to success is not only to maintain the motivation of lifelong learning, but also to learn to respect good character.”
Parent, P4 and P5, 2020
“Regarding the influence of SON, I am now a more studious person due to the hardworking student body. I also place greater weight on serving the community.”